(In the wake of his Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej’s passing)
Do travel here!
1) Special events/free admission: You will be visiting a country that commemorates as big as it celebrates. It is a wonderful time to come and learn about the late King and all he has done for the Thai people. During this time, there is free admission to the National Museum Bangkok where you can see what will be used in the Royal Procession for his cremation ceremony (royal chariots included).
2) Be a part of history: As a tourist, you are welcomed as a local and get to commemorate and celebrate the King and Thai life on Thai soil in a way that is special to this moment that will be marked in history!
3) Thai food remains colorful: My favorite part about Thailand, THE FOOD, is still just as vibrant, spicy and delicious as before!
Do pack black, white, gray and or muted clothing.
*This is not a necessity for foreign tourists, but you will get big smiles from the locals for showing respect.
Don’t think you are missing out!
1) Even better: In my experience, this is an even better time to come because wherever you go you are a part of this unique cultural experience (for example, wearing darker clothes unifies you with Thai culture)
2) Green light for Cultural events/Nightlife/Markets: Loy Krathong (Thai cultural celebration) and Christmas celebrations will light up the sky as per usual. Additionally, nightlife sparks up again after November 14th. Night markets are back in full swing too, make sure to check out my favorite: Ratchada Night Market.
*Disclaimer: Cultural events/nightlife may be toned down out of respect.
3) Tourist spots open: The Grand Palace is re-opened as are most other tourist places!
Don’t be afraid:
1) Safer: At this time, security forces are heightened around tourist areas, so it is actually safer now.
2) Good energy: The Thai people are performing good deeds and acts of kindness in honor and remembrance of the King. You will be entering a country re-establishing good Karma
Sources: Richard Barrow; BK Magazine, my experience ;)